Wednesday, August 31, 2011

DEAD... OR ALIVE

photo taken in Yellowstone National Park on August 13, 2011
"Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,
but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Roman 6:11

Here is a quick story that happened this morning when I was taken my dog, Patch, on a walk. I wanted to write it down so I would not forget it.

Our dog LOVES to go on walks. I usually take him around the neighborhood, but his morning I took him for a walk through the cemetery. I always have him on a leash to control him and to make sure he goes where I want him to go. However this morning, half way through the cemetary I decided to take his leash off. (probably should not admit that.. but it was so early in the morning that I am sure Animal Control personnel were still sleeping :))

Without the leather contraint tied to his collar, I experienced seeing our dog in a state of pure joy, freedom and happiness. I have never seen him run with so much bliss. Despite being completely free, he still remained close by and always came back when I called him.  The thought occured to me is first, what a contrast to have something so alive and full of life in a place of the dead and buried. But more importantly, I saw a glimpse of life in how God intends it to be... free to choose, the happiness and joy that comes from being free from control, restraint from various sources ( free from sin, or free from people who control and manipulate us, free from oppresion) We are created and born with agency to choose for ourselves...  yet we live in a world where many seek to take away our agency, control us through their seeking of more power and dominion.

While my dog was free to run away from his master, he stayed close by and when called, he obeyed and came back. This was a great lesson for me, and learning more about how to live my life, to stay close by, and obey my Master when He calls me.

No comments:

Post a Comment