Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WHERE TO FIND SAFETY? The story a mother and father quail.

photo taken near our home of a quail family on July 9, 2011
"For the day of my visitation cometh speedily, in an hour when ye think not of;
 and where shall be the safety of my people, and refuge for those who shall be left of them?"
Doctrine and Covenants 124: 10


The quail is a symbol of a contrite spirit, communal love, and higher consciousness. In Roman mythology, the bird depicted courage and victory. 

This year, we have had alot of birds nesting around our home. Canadian Geese, Ducks, Doves, Sparrows, Robins and even swarms of dragon flies.  When we arrived home from Lake Powell, we found a new family of quail hiding in a window well  for safety.  It appeared that this was the place that the female quail had her nest and her babies.  I took a quick photo of this family without trying to frighten them.

We also have a stray cat in our neighborhood. His name is Clyde. My animal loving daughter was concerned that Clyde might want to harm even kill the baby quail. She in fact wanted to stay/sleep outside all night so she could protect the innocent tiny quail from the night wandering cat. We told her that we would rather have her sleep inside, due to her safety. Reluctantly my daughter obeyed, but she stayed with the quail until it was time for her to go to bed.

Come to find out the next morning my daughters intuition was right... Clyde had found the baby quail. Apparently, the mother and father quail were no match to protect their children from the wild cat. All that was left was small quail feathers. The Mother and Father Quail stayed close by our home for a couple of days... childless/quail-less until they evidently flew away.  The circle of life is sometimes painful and heartwrenching. Yes, in this world, there is opposition in all things.

  • "Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."
There is a good song that I heard recently entitled.. "Praise You in the Storm"

I said the path is too steep. JESUS SAID I WILL NOT LET YOUR FEET SLIP.
I said the road is dark. JESUS SAID I AM YOUR LIGHT.
I said I don't know the direction. JESUS SAID I AM THE WAY.
I said I am weak and tired. JESUS SAID I WILL CARRY YOU

2 comments:

  1. Are you on Facebook? Sure wish you were... I've already friended you on YouTube...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I greatly appreciate the time you take to compile your thoughts to music and video. I would like to email you. My wife is a pianist and works with singers at the MET in NY, we live outside of Philly she works at the Philly Opera as-well.I would like to talk with you about making a music video for my wife's website. My wife also performs often with her brother. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G96ImeIVoME&feature=related
    Do you live in UT? If you have chance email me at rbmordo@gmail.com. Thank you again

    Raphael

    ReplyDelete