Friday, October 8, 2010

Mercy versus Justice: Parable of the Bed

Photograph taken this morning of my oldest daughters bed after
her younger sisters made it for her.
"What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice?
I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God."
Alma 42: 25
It has been a busy week for me...with very little time to post anything. However, I needed to quickly share an teaching experience that happened this morning. At the beginning of the school year, we created a rule in our family that the girls needed to make their beds prior to leaving for school. If their bed was not made.. then they would receive a strike. If they got three strikes.. then dad would come to school, get them out of class and bring them back home to make their bed. The rule has been set, and everyone knew the consequences. Many of my daughters friends also know about our family rule.. and look forward to the day when the third strike happens and witness my daughter getting pulled out of class..(by then, maybe the whole school will know what is happening when a dad comes looking for one of his daughters.)
.
My oldest daugther has had 2 strikes against her for a couple of weeks now. This morning.. she recieved the third strike. Her Bed was not made. Justice needed to be served. However.. not wanting the unthinkable to happen to their sister.. my two younger daughters made their older sister's bed ...fulfulling the demands of Justice. They played the role of a Savior , balanced the scales with Mercy. My oldest daugther is now indebted to her younger sisters without having to pay the penalty of Dad embarrassing her at school.
.
In a simple ordinary experience of making a bed, the atonement is taught to my daughters. Grateful for our Savior's life of mercy for me that justice was fulfilled and all He asked of me is to repent and follow Him.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post. I'm a simple person. My husband and I sometimes joke about how the scripture that encourages "becoming as a little child" fits me really well!
    Thank you for this real life example. This encouraged me tonight. For some reason it gave me hope. Knowing that someone might pay the demands of justice for me sometime.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete