Monday, June 28, 2010

The Tree of Life: An Olive Tree?

Photo taken of an Olive Tree on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem
“the olive leaf . . . plucked from the Tree of Paradise, the Lord’s message of peace to us."
Doctrine and Covenants Section 88


I have always wondered what kind of tree is the Tree of Life? Growing up I always pictured in my mind an apple tree.. but instead of red apples... they were white apples. Probably not accurate, but that was what I always imagined.

So, do we really know what kind of tree was the tree of Life/Paradise?... With the above information found in D&C 88...If the Tree of Paradise is the same as the Tree of Life.. then is it an Olive Tree?

In the Book of Mormon account of Lehi's dream, the tree of life is said to represent the love of God... even Jesus Christ, who is the incarnate love of God.
We read in Nephi 11: 21-24 "Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw? Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things. Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him. "

Is the olive the fruit of the tree of life? I have mentioned earlier on my blog that the olive oil (the essence of the fruit) represents the spirit, power, or glory of God. The olive oil serves as a cleansing agent, a preservative, a fuel for lamps, an aid to cooking, and a fragrant ointment to condition and protect the skin... but most importantly used in annointings and ordinances.

No comments:

Post a Comment