- The “poor in spirit” = or the “humble in spirit” or “lacking in pride”
- Those that mourn..(the humble are usually those who have suffered.)
- The Meek = gentle, forgiving, or benevolent.
- Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness.
- The Merciful
- The Pure in heart = (chastity, cleanliness, purity.)
- The Peacemakers.
- The Persecuted
- The Salt of the Earth
- The Lights of the World
In today’s world we would have a different list of who we think are the fortunate ones: ·
- The wealthy
- The beautiful
- The famous
- The talented/ athletically gifted and others who we idolize ·
- The powerful and influential.
The world’s view of their “fortunate list” deal mainly with the EXTERNAL.. while the Lord’s list of the fortunate describes what is contained in the INTERNAL. These two lists are extreme opposites.