Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Descending Below into the Dark.Ascending Above into the Light

Photos taken on May 10, 2011 at the Lava tunnel outside of Flagstaff, AZ


North of Flagstaff, about 10 miles off the beaten path is the Lava River Cave. The cave is about a mile long and the temperatures within the cave range from 32 degrees to 40 degrees all year long. There is alot of ice that is formed in the cave which  never melts and it quite dangerous to enter alone. (Probably will get a phone call after I post this from my mom when they hear that I descended into the cave alone). It is recommended that you call someone to let them know you are entering the cave and then calling back after you exit. Despite not seeing anyone within 10 miles and being complelely alone, I knew I would be protected, and was given several forms of light to take with me to reach the end of the tunnel. This was something I was to experience alone. At the half way point of the cave is a "birth cannel" which you need to get on your hands and knees and crawl in order to continue on to the end of the cave. While I was concerned about the time, I felt I needed to reach the end of the tunnel.. to then turn off all the light I had and experience the thick darkness that can only be experienced deep in the earth. Remarkable things happen when you heed the promptings of the Spirit and allow yourself to be teachable. The Lord is anxious to teach us if we only let him. I will always remember my experience in this cave. While might not seem related.. the below scripture has much more meaning to me now.

"Listen to the voice of the Lord your God, even Alpha and Omega,
the beginning and the end, whose course is one eternal round,
the same today as yesterday, and forever."
Doctrine and Covenants 35:1

No comments:

Post a Comment