Friday, July 22, 2011

BECOMING CLEAN BY PROXY: from the blood of the generations

photo taken of Angel Moroni on top of Mt. Timpanogos temple on April 6, 2011
"That I may testify unto your Father, and your God, and my God,
that you are clean from the blood of this wicked generation."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:75

In computer networks, a proxy server is a computer system that acts as an intermediary for requests from one server seeking resources from another server. By definition, a proxy is a person authorized to act on behalf of another.

I haven't shared this yet after returning home from the Snowflake, Arizona Temple. Today I thought I should. I went down to Arizona for several reason, one of them was to do the temple work for 5 Native Americans. I did some of the ordinances in the Mesa Temple, and then did the rest in the Snowflake Temple. One of main reason we go to the temple is to gain further light and knowledge. In order for this progression, we must be clean from the sins and blood of past generations. As I was a proxy for one of the Native Americans, I sensed this man's overwhelming feeling of gratitude and joy in being cleansed from the traditions of his fathers and the blood of his generation. Through the Spirit,  I knew that he had shed "innocent" blood... and as his proxy I wept for him with tears of love for the mercies given to us through our Savior. There is a very real, and  the literal cleansing  that we can feel if we access the Atonement. 

Today I met a woman from Alabama who is here to go through the Salt Lake Temple with my friend. My friend will act as proxy for her son who died a year ago. Her son was 24 years old and committed suicide. What is even more tragic is that he shot himself over the grave of his father who also killed himself 5 years ago. Both the father and son suffered from clinical depression. My heart went out to the woman who has lost both her husband and son. As the blessings of the temple will be performed today, I can testify that as we accept the gospel of Jesus Christ, we can be pronounced clean from the blood that stains us in this world.

1 comment:

  1. David,
    Sherry was very grateful for the experiences you shared about the temple. It really set the day up perfectly for the afternoon. We all felt her sons joyful feelings of acceptance of the the work being done for him. It was very touching for me on many levels.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences, and your Spirit, its a blessing to many.

    ReplyDelete