Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chaistic Structure

Photo taken on the roller coaster ride in Park City, Ut on July 28, 2010

I took my kids up to the Alpine Slide in Park City a couple of week ago. The rolller coaster ride looked a little safer for my 6 year old to ride, so we decided to ride the roller coaster ride instead. Luckily I brought my camera on the ride... I snapped this photo quickly while riding on the track. This is the best illustration of a chiasm in the man-made world.

I have posted about chiams before on my blog, but for those who are unfamiliar with the term, a chiasm is usually referring to a literary structure used in ancient literature where concepts are placed in a symmetric order to emphasize them. The ideas converge at the center or the focal point of the thought. In the scriptures the focal point is usually Christ.

Here is a beautiful one that I just found in the New Testament in Matthew 11:28-30.

Come unto me:

All ye that LABOUR and are HEAVY laden.

.........take my YOKE upon you

...................LEARN of me

.................................FOR I AM meek and lowly in heart

.....................FIND rest unto your souls

...........for my YOKE is easy

my BURDEN is LIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment